ellaminnowpea

Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl For the most part, I enjoyed this book. I particularly enjoyed the early chapters, with Blue moving around the country with her father. Their relationship was charming, and I found myself drawn to her as a main character.

But then the book kept going. And kept going. And kept going.

Pessl's prose, though lovely, could sometimes grow larger than life and would bring the story to a screeching halt. The scenes involving Hannah and Blue's peers especially could often be dry and tedious. I thought that the constant, quirky literary references were an excellent frame for the father-daughter relationship in the early chapters, but that too grew old as the story went on.

The story was enticing, though, and kept me wondering what was going to happen next. I didn't call the big twist surrounding Hannah, though it was much easier to figure out the subsequent twist concerning Gareth. I didn't have a problem with these twists, nor with the way that Pessl structured it. The problem was that she didn't know quite how to finish her story.

Overall, a well-told story by a gifted writer, but neither one without flaws.