ellaminnowpea

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer I haven't been so excited about a book release in quite some time. Everyone else was looking forward to the new Stephenie Meyer this week, but after reading about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on one of NPR's summer reading lists, I couldn't wait for it to come out.

This book has a silly name, but don't let that frighten you. It's an absolute delight! It tells the story of Juliet, a writer in post-war London searching for a new book topic, who becomes fascinated with Guernsey, the British island that spent the war under Nazi occupation. Several citizens of Guernsey form the title society as an alibi when they are caught breaking curfew, but then decide that they genuinely like the idea -- and the books. The story is told entirely through letters between Juliet, her publisher, friends and residents of Guernsey. There are a lot of characters, and you do have to pay attention to who's writing the letter to whom, but all of the characters are so unique and charming.

In reality, this book is a love letter to the literary life, a testament to the power and the joy of books. It also made me wish that the practice of letter-writing hadn't gone out of fashion with the rise of technology and the advent of the internet.