ellaminnowpea

The Solitude of Prime Numbers: A Novel - Paolo Giordano I really, really wanted to like this book. I had heard so many good things, read so many great reviews, was so excited to pick it up. Maybe something got lost in the translation, but I can't help but feel a little let down.

Alice and Mattia are both social outcasts from an early age. In mathematical terms, they are prime numbers: divisible only by one and themselves. A childhood skiing accident scars Alice and leaves her with a permanent limp; Mattia feels responsible for the disappearance of his possibly retarded twin sister. The two cross paths in high school, and Alice is instantly attracted to him. They develop a bond, but are never able to find themselves on the same page. A mathematics scholarship takes Mattia out of the country and Alice finds herself married to a doctor named Fabio.

Giordano isn't a bad writer, for someone whose background is in particle physics. However, I got the feeling that Girodano didn't quite get his characters. They were mostly sympathetic, but occasionally felt a little too stereotypical. I felt there could have been more dimension, more motivation behind their actions.

What frustrated me the most about this book was the ending. Alice, distraught over the disintegration of her marriage, believes that she sees Mattia's twin sister at the hospital one day. She instinctively writes him a letter and summons him back home. Once he arrives, though, she convinces herself that she has imagined the entire scenario and decides not to tell him. He ends up leaving again, and she decides that she is going to have to learn to be okay with her new-found solitude. Perhaps I missed something, but it felt as though this ending provided little resolution to the story at all.