ellaminnowpea

The Distant Hours - Kate Morton I once complained that the internet and cell phone have ruined story telling. They make it difficult to construct an elaborate mystery because the characters could just Google the answers, and no one is ever in quite as much peril when they can whip out their iPhone and call for help. The thing I love about Kate Morton is that she defies this rule. She has built some wonderfully complex family-saga mysteries that are engaging and require genuine investigation and probing on behalf of the protagonists. "The Forgotten Garden" was one of the best books I read in 2009, and I couldn't wait for this one to be published.

"The Distant Hours" is the story of Edie, a 30ish book editor in early nineties London whose life is thrown for a loop when her mother receives a letter fifty years late. The letter is connected to time her mother spend at Milderhurst Castle during the war, where she'd been taken in by an eccentric, literary family. Edie can't contain her curiosity and sets off to learn more about Milderhurst Castle and the connections between the Blythe family and her own.