ellaminnowpea

Love Begins in Winter: Five Stories - Simon Van Booy It is impossible to read a book written by Simon van Booy without an arsenal of pens to underline all the beautiful sentences that he writes.
"I firmly believe that while lies and deception destroy love, they can also build and defend it. Love requires imagination more than experience."
I'm not a huge short story reader, but I bought this collection because I loved his novel Everything Beautiful Began After so, so much. I liked these stories, too, but there was an element of...preciousness, maybe, to them that kept me from falling in love with them. It's essentially the same style he used in the novel, but it just doesn't hold the same magic for me in shorter form. It prevented the characters from really developing into something concrete, something multi-dimensional, and the reader is left instead with a lovely collection of delicate words that don't quite tell you the whole story.

Also, the author biography cracks me up: "Simon van Booy was born in London and grew up in rural Wales and Oxford. After playing football in Kentucky, he lived in Paris and Athens."

One of these things is not like the other?