ellaminnowpea

& Sons - David Gilbert I've only made it about halfway through this one, but I think I am going to put it on hold.

A.N. Dyer is a literary giant in the vein of J.D. Salinger. His breakout novel, Ampersand was a classic of adolescent angst comparable to Catcher in the Rye -- in Gilbert's world, you're either a Dyer fan or a Salinger fan much as you're either a Beatles fan or a Stones fan. Dyer has three sons, but he hasn't spoken to Richard or Jamie much since the sudden appearance of their half-brother Andy -- the result of an affair -- tore the Dyer marriage and family apart seventeen years ago. Dyer emerges from a life of Upper East Side seclusion to attend the funeral of his lifelong friend Charlie Topper, where he suffers a very public breakdown. He then summons his two older sons back to New York, along with Charlie's son (and our narrator) Phillip, to sort of settle things as he sees his own twilight approaching.

I find myself reading this in fits and starts, which is never a good sign. The first fifty pages were phenomenal, but as I've continued I find that I'm having trouble connecting to the characters and the writing can be a little verbose and rambly. It doesn't make sense to me, either, why the story is narrated from Phillip's POV but with the perks of a omniscient third-person narrator that gets into each character's head. Still, I think this book would be enjoyable and meaningful for someone who can better relate to the characters. I'm just not that someone. I may come back to it, but I'm moving on for the time being.