ellaminnowpea

Mr g: A Novel About the Creation - Alan Lightman This is a novel about the Creation, but it's written by a theoretical physicist so don't expect the creator to be anything like the guy in Genesis. Much of the first half of the book deals with Mr g creating the laws of physics and witnessing the results as those laws play out in the universe. To say that it's not plot-heavy would be overstating it. This is a very intellectual, musing sort of book and it's going to bore a lot of people who aren't interested in reading about how gasses created stars and planets. Nevertheless, there are some theological aspects of this book that, as a devout agnostic, I found interesting:

1. Mr g, the Creator, has an aunt and an uncle. This would suggest that he also has parent, further suggesting that something created God.

2. Aunt Penelope and Uncle Deva give Mr g advice as he's creating millions of universes and refining the one that will become our own, suggesting that God is fallible.

3. Mr g has a rival named Belhor who challenges him intellectually about the laws that govern our universe. "You are not entitled to exist," aunt Penelope tells Belhor. "My nephew did not make you." Again, there must be something creating besides God.

4. Mr g creates the laws that govern matter inside the universe (we knows them as Newton's laws), and these laws go on to create things such as stars and planets. Penelope compliments Mr g on the beauty of these creations, his response is "I did nothing but make a few organizational principles."

As intelligent life begins to evolve (yes, evolve - again, this is not the creation from Sunday school), Mr g and Belhor debate the necessity of free will in the universe. Belhor points out that Mr g can not possibly have the time or resources to control the vast number of life forms that develop. This leads to a moral conundrum for God: when people do bad things to each other, should he intervene? And how can he determine when intervention is necessary? Mr g feels guilt for the distress felt by his intelligent life, but Belhor points out that intelligence begets suffering. This suffering spreads from the universe into the Void as Mr g and Aunt Penelope feel guilt and pity for those who suffer.

Ultimately, this is a thought-provoking parable about the relationship of science and religion that remains easy to digest for those of us lacking advanced degrees in either astrophysics or theology.