ellaminnowpea

The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific - J. Maarten Troost I read this because my friends back in PA decided they wanted to give a book club a shot and I knew I'd be visiting the weekend that they wanted to hold their discussion. So here you have it: the first installment in the (Un)Official Chestnut Hill Gang Book Club.

Maarten Troost and his girlfriend (wife-to-be, really) graduate with advanced degrees in international studies, focusing on foreign aid to developing nations. The job hunt lands Sylvia an offer to work on the tiny Pacific island nation of Kiribati, and off the pair goes, completely unprepared for the poverty, heat, and isolation of life on the Equator.

It's an interesting book and I learned quite a bit about the I-Kiribati people. The author can be a bit of a tool -- he seems to just stumble along in life letting this happen as they may, and is shockingly blase when he returns home from Kiribati to face three years of unpaid credit card debt. Still, his tongue-in-cheek approach to his memoir made for a rather quick, pleasant read.